Did you know that Bernie Madoff, the man behind the greatest investor fraud scheme in background, is even now swindling from behind bars? This time, taxpayers are shelling out significant bucks so that Bernie Madoff and other prisoners can acquire kosher meals in federal jail upon request. Kosher meals for prisoners value the law-abiding population huge time this services calls for having kosher cooks and a separate kosher kitchen at amenities with inmates who are, purportedly, religious. Maybe these miscreants must have contemplated their religious creeds, morals, and specific dietary demands just before committing federal crimes.
When Ira Black, the guitarist for the well-liked metal band Lizzy Borden, was sentenced to prison in Los Angeles for a misdemeanor, he went on a hunger strike simply because he has been a vegan for fifteen years. Most prisons do not provide unique meals for vegans or vegetarians and Ira Black refused to consume the hefty meat and dairy diet regime that was supplied during his incarceration. Whereas self-declared religious felons demand and receive far more expensive kosher meals that need to be prepared individually in a publicly funded kitchen, vegans are expected to give up their rules and consume animal derived products although serving time.
The reality is that it is inefficient and discriminatory for dietary exceptions to be made for prisoners regardless of the purpose. All inmates should be taken care of equally. We must be serving value-efficient and eco-friendly meals to all prisoners. After all, why must society pay out the further costs of catering to specific felons? Prisoners ought to be presented nutritionally sound meals that do not price taxpayers an arm and a leg. If you break the law, you ought to be aware that there is one particular set meal prepare for all inmates regardless of religion, credo, or principle.
A vegan menu must be the only choice available in prison. What???! Did not this post just argue that all prisoners must be taken care of equally? Why must Ira Black’s vegan diet plan be served whilst Bernie Madoff’s kosher requests go ignored? The response is simple. The decision to serve vegan meals in prison is 1 that is based on the best interests of society as a total rather than the wishes of person prisoners. The most fiscally and environmentally accountable diet plan to give prisoners is a single devoid of animal merchandise. Here are a couple of factors why an solely vegan meal plan in prisons would positively impact society as a entire:
– Plant-primarily based vegan elements like beans are much more inexpensive than meat merchandise, particularly when bought in bulk.
– Necessary vegan meal program in prisons will increase the environment by decreasing demand for merchandise from the meat and dairy industries, which are accountable for 18% of the Earth’s greenhouse gas emissions.
– There was a trial program implemented at the Victor Valley Medium Correctional Facility in Adelanto, California which located that violence dropped substantially amongst inmates who were switched to a vegan diet.
– An enhanced demand for vegan meals decreases violence against animals by the meat and dairy industries.
– In accordance to the American Dietetic Association, vegans and vegetarians are much less prone to heart condition, diabetes, cancer, and weight problems than meat-eaters. Switching prisoners to a plant-based mostly meal strategy will conserve the prison technique a great deal of funds on prisoners’ prolonged term medical care costs. This is, of program, very good news for taxpayers.
– Should we genuinely be serving the body components of when-living creature to inmates who are supposed to be contemplating the distinction in between what is correct and what is wrong? To serve the victims of mankind’s ongoing animal genocide to the likes of Christopher Lee McCuin and Timothy Wayne Shepard looks especially twisted.
Even though prisons are unlikely to adopt an solely vegan menu correct now, this alter is probable in the future. As the atmosphere continues to deteriorate and as taxpayers grow to be increasingly irate in excess of excess paying in prison amenities, necessary veganism for inmates could in the end be enacted.
Jennifer Clary is an proprietor of the vegan food business Gobble Green (http://www.gobblegreen.com) and a CEO of the nationwide media corporation jenkev productions (http://www.jenkev.com). Gobble Green is an online marketplace giving a various and often updated choice of wholesome, pre-packaged vegan meals. In addition to her corporate responsibilities, Jennifer is an award winning film director and a proud vegan.
Far more Bar Mitzvah Articles